Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Cinnamon Clove Hot Chocolate


What can I say about this recipe.

It recieved a bad start, after measuring out my supply of bittersweet chocolate I only had 2.8 ounces, if that, so I decided to split the recipe in half. I also only had 2% milk, and while I could have used real cloves or cinnamon quills, I decided instead to use ground cinnamon and cloves - which the recipe said you could substitute (and I do not recommend - it is unholy).

The result was a very, very thick. Surprisingly thick. Hot chocolate with some grit from the ground cinnamon and cloves. Maybe I was in a hurry, maybe I didn't simmer it for long enough, but the fact of the matter was, there was grit.

All of these things I would be able to look past if the hot choc still tasted good, but it was just too bitter for me, and I hate bitter aftertastes. If I were to make this again, I might use a semi-sweet chocolate instead, only less of it to still keep it from being too sweet.

In an attempt to make the mix thinner, I filled the empty space of the mug with milk and reheated it. It was a little more palatable, but still, not my taste.

I will attempt this recipe again in the future, when I actually do have 4 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, and whole milk.


1 cup whole milk
1 cinnamon quill
2 whole cloves
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate - finely chopped
1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
Serves One

No comments:

Post a Comment